So today I ran 5k for the hospital’s I work for charity…. still gobsmacked I managed it.
But this made me hunnnnng-rryyyyy!
It’s Sunday, I’m shattered, so I want a roast.
So I decided to make a veggie roast and omg it did not disappoint.
It looks like a lot of ingredients but chill out, most of it is probably hanging out in your cupboard already, I know it was mine 🙂
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 15g butter
- 2 onions, mine were diddy, finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 200g mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 pepper finely chopped
- 1 carrot grated
- 100g red lentils
- 1 tsp of mixed herbs
- 1 & 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 300ml veg stock
- 100g breadcrumbs, mine are prebought
- 150g mixed nuts crushed into smallish pieces, i used a pestle and mortar
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 100g mature cheddar grated
- Small bunch of parsley chopped
** make it vegan, use vegan cheese, dairy free butter and egg replacements (flax egg) instead** 🙂
- First of all finely chop alllll the veg and smash up your nuts 😉 this may take a while but its quite stress reliving hehe but once this is done you can crack on.
- Set the oven to 180c. Grab a loaf tin (i just got one from home bargains for a quid yay) line it with greeseproof paper
- In a pan, melt the butter and the oil. Add the onion and celery and cook until beginning to soften.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook low for 10 minutes
- Add the pepper and grated carrot and cook for a few minutes then add the mixed herbs and smoked paprika and stir for a minute.
- Add the lentils to the pan with the tomato puree and stir for a minute.
- Add the veg stock and simmer with the lid on for five mins then take the lid off and simmer for another 5 mins or until the mixture isnt as wet and the liquids nearly all absorbed.
- Take off the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs, nuts, eggs, cheese and parsley and season with salt.
- Add the mix to the loaf tin. Cover with foil (or like me if you have no foil, use another baking tray haha)
- Put in the oven for 20 mins. take the foil/tray off and cook for another 15 minutes until its golden brown and spongey when pressed on top.
- Cut into slices, I found two to be enough for one serving!
- Served with my sticky roast Brussels sprouts and vegetable gravy, not pictured, as I’d already scoffed the whole thing!