Since I’ve been back from the Philippines where I lived off plain boiled rice with soy sauce and inadequate sized bananas for the entire 2 weeks, all I’ve been craving is roast dinner type foods. But since I’ve been back I’ve been working allllll the time and haven’t really cooked a proper meal for myself.
So seen as it’s Sunday and I can have a bit of a chill day I decided to make something yummy. I fancied pastry but not pie so decided to make a wellington! It was dead easy and tasty and I couldn’t be arsed to make a nut roast so yassssssssss
Post walk with a pals doggy has made me dead hungry too so I’m probably going to eat it all but in reality it will probably serve 3-4 people
- 5 BIG mushrooms- I used normal and chestnut, portobello would be good but tesco had none 😦
- 3 onions sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 200g spinach
- fresh thyme
- roll of pastry
- 1-2 tbsp mustard
- Put the onions in a pan with 2 tbsp of oil, season with salt and peps and cook on medium heat for approx 10 mins, add the garlic and cook for a further 10 mins, stirring every few minutes.
- Whilst they cook make a brew and take puppy dawg selfie……
- Once that’s done and the onions are a lovely golden brown set them aside to cool.
- Next put the spinach in the pan for a few minutes until wilted. looks loads but its a filthy lying cheat and will shrivel into what looks like nothing so don’t panic! once cooked set aside to cool.
- Put a tablespoon of oil in a pan and place the mushrooms top side down, into the pan and cook on a medium heat for five minutes, flip and cook for five minutes on the other side. Flip again and cook for another fives minutes until mushrooms are golden brown. Set aside to cool whilst you heat the oven to 200c.
- Grab the pastry and roll it out. I cut mine in half as I’m making 2 small ones but can also make 1 big one!
- first spread half the onions onto the middle of the pastry. Then spinach.
- Spread the mustard over the mushrooms then place them on top of the onion/spinach. Season with salt and peps and the thyme leaves. Top with the remaining spinach and onion.
- Things got a bit messy but ignore that this isn’t instagram.
- Next fold the sides over and pinch the ends. I covered mine with pretty pastry shaped hearts because heart shaped food tastes better and I’m forever trying to be cute (but failing miserably).
- Brush with milk I used coconut but any will be fine!
- Pop in the oven for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and serve with whatever the f**k you like 🙂