NOT VEGAN.. soz. But I needed cheese and curry after a horrid shift at work. So this wins my life.
Never had paneer before, but decided to give it a bash as i’ve always wanted to try it. For the record it tastes like a squishier halloumi which I have no complaints against 🙂
- 150g basmati rice
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic sliced
- 1 pepper sliced
- 1 tsp onion seeds (nigella seeds) optional
- 5 cherry tomatoes quartered
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 300ml veg stock
- 1 pack of paneer cubed
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- big thumb sized piece of ginger peeled and grated
- 2 tsp butter
- pinch of sugar & salt
- Heat oil in a pan and add the paneer, stir and cook until golden all over. try not to steal bits as it smells soooo good. set aside once cooked.
- Next add a 2tbsp of oil and the onions to the pan, with a pinch of salt and 2tsp of sugar. Cook on low until start to caramelize.
- Add the pepper to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the ginger, garlic and curry powder and tomatoes to the pan and stir.
- Add the tomato paste, paneer and stock , cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
Whilst that’s cooking make the rice. I made mine fancehhhhh. Because i’m a weirdo
- Add rice, onion seeds and butter to a pan. melt the butter and stir for about a minute.
- Add 375 ml of cold water, bring to a boil, cover and cook on low for 10 mins 🙂
- Snobby but easy
Serve the rice and curry together, with poppadums and an out of proportion glass of wine ….. obviously…..