Cooking tea for my little Italian princess tonight, so what better way to continue my veggie week than with a veggie risotto.
Although, as long as I smother everything in olive oil she will be happy 😉 (Anna has gotten me into an awful olive oil on everything habit #FirstWorldProblems )
I’ve made this risotto vegetarian/vegan by using pesto tofu and nutritional yeast, but these can be substituted for chicken and cheddar if you’re feeling carnivorous.
serves 2 decent sized portions
- 100g Pesto tofu fried – I bought this from a health food shop (or use 200g chicken breast diced)
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast (or 40g of grated cheddar)
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 4 tomatoes to roast (optional)
- 160g of aborio risotto rice
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- small bunch of basil, approx 10g
- olive oil
- S & P
To make the basil oil
- Grind the basil and a pinch of salt in a pestle and mortar until it makes a smoothish looking paste.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil and mix
- Ready to drizzle on the shizzle later
If using roast tomatoes as a topping
- Whilst the risotto is cooking, take 4 tomatoes, I used the yellow type cause they look fancy and I like pretending I’m posh, and half them all
- Place on a baking tray, with the insides facing up and place in the oven at 200c for about 10-15 minutes until nicely roasted.
- Turn off the oven and leave them in to keep warm whilst the risotto cooks.
For the Risotto
- Place the oil in a hot pan and add the chopped onion and a sprinkle of salt. Cook until onions begin to soften
- Add the rice and garlic to the pan stirring until rice is coated
- Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan and stir until rice has absorbed the liquid
- Keep adding the stock a little at a time, waiting for it to absorb bit by bit. This should take around 15-20 minutes for the rice to cook
- Once the risotto is nearly cooked add the red wine vinegar and sugar and continue to cook for a few more minutes. Season if needed.
- Stir through the nutritonal yeast (or half the cheese) and the cooked tofu (or chicken).
- Top with the basil oil & roasted tomatoes (and the rest of the cheese if used)
- Serve with a side salad (tossed in olive oil and salt obvs….. thanks anna)