Could there be a nicer way to kick off my blog than on my birthday and cooking the first dish my mum ever taught me to cook? I don’t think so! I always say once you can cook a spag’ bol’ you can cook anything, so cheers lynnie poo!
Although, I must admit this recipe isn’t the one she taught me (soz mum, I’ve moved on from the weird concoction using tinned tomato soup 😉 ) but 24 years on I thank my mum for teaching me how to chop an onion and all that jazz because I know people now who can’t even boil an egg. Not yolking….(sorry).
So I’m cooking a meal for me and my boyfriend tonight…..wait it’s my birthday why am I cooking ?! Hence the use of the slow cooker with this one so I can chill for the 6-8 hours in between 🙂 .
- 1 & 1/2 tsp of olive oil
- 250g minced beef
- 50g pancetta cubes
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stick of celery chopped
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- 200ml beef stock
- 50ml red wine
- 1 tsp of dried mixed herbs
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Spaghetti and a bit of G’bread to serve obvs’
- So first things first chop all ya veg into whatever size chunks you fancy, I prefer them on the smaller side of life.
- Next heat the oil in the pan and add the pancetta and cook until crispy mmmmmmmm. Remove from the pan when suitably sizzled.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook until it starts to go soft, then chuck in the celery, carrot and garlic until it starts to soften. Remove from the pan when cooked.
- Add the minced beef to the pan and brown
- Bang everything into the pot now and add the rest of the ingredients (don’t forget the wine hehe) . Season with S&P and cover with the lid.
- Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Sit on sofa and do nothing all day until ready 😉
PS. Mum, your Spag’ Bol’ is still boss ❤